The Dilemma of helping out at fetes shows etc.
The recent bouncy castle incident bought back some sad memories for me.
When my daughter was 2 or 3 she attended a local pre-school nursery where a few of the local mums helped out.
A child some how got out of the hall where the nursery was held, wandered in to the garden next door and drowned in a garden pond.
Myself and my wife couldn’t be contacted at the time so my father in law was called to collect my daughter, when he got there they momentarily couldn’t find my daughter as she thought it was a game of hide and seek.
Hearing all this later was really sickening, I went to work the next day but when it came on the radio I just had to go home and see my daughter.
Unfortunately, one family didn’t have that option.
A sad, sad time and one I will never forget.
The thing about this though was the repercussions afterwards, bearing in mind this was just a tiny village, where the adults looking after the children were in effect just local mothers helping out.
It may not compare to the parents of the child, but the helpers suffered too and not only that, there was a 3 and a half year gap between the incident and an inquest ruling (neglect) followed by possible legal claims from the parents.
Jump forward a few years and I was on the board of a local playground committee and a discussion arose about a new piece of playground equipment, a roundabout.
The roundabout had been installed for a week but the children were moaning because a restrictor on it made it too slow.
The discussion was along the lines of, just get someone to take the restrictor off, problem solved.
It was then that my mind went back to the incident, the tragic accident, the mothers just helping out, and how it had also ruined their lives.
I raised my concerns, spoke about the memory of my daughter being there and how it could so easily have been her, and resigned from the committee.
Off course I was seen as a killjoy for not wanting to let the kids have fun on an unrestricted roundabout but so be it I thought and to this day don’t know if the restrictor was removed or not.
I was also a regular helper at the local flower show summer fete.
I used to help out on what was called the jousting chair, a home made contraption, horse on wheels going down a makeshift track, kid with a jousting rod trying to collect rings as they go down.
Great fun, but an accident waiting to happen if not monitored properly.
Now here lies the problem, do you volunteer to help at events like this so that they can go on, or do you consider the consequences if an accident does happen?
I decided I didn’t want to be up for manslaughter if a kiddie fell off the jousting chair, made my excuses and have not helped since.
Again, I’m a killjoy and are too lazy to help out, I’ll tell you something though I would rather that than be the 2 people up for manslaughter because a bouncy castle had a freak accident and blew away.
Let’s face it, anyone who has helped out at events knows there is know real risk assessment when you set up those stalls, canopies, coconut shy’s, rides, events, etc.
There by the grace of God go you, if you’re the one who is just that unlucky person manning the stall when the tragedy happens, you become the outcast, the mindless moron, the murderer.
Next time you are helping out and you notice the barriers aren’t where the small print in the instructions say they should be, the correct weights aren’t in place, you only have 4 pegs holding down the gazebo when their should be 8, the straw bales behind the shy are a bit low, there are people walking behind the dartboard you are monitoring, etc., etc. just remember it is you up for manslaughter if anything goes wrong, the organisers will soon distance themselves from you.
Sad, I know.
The end of village fetes if all have that mentality, I know.
But having experienced it and seeing the effects I’ll just carry on being that killjoy party pooper who is too lazy to help – unfortunately.
News at Hen
- Taper on Self Employed Coronavirus Grant
- is moneysavingexpert forum down
- Are Hens to Blame for the Coronavirus
- The Lovely Eggs This Decision Video
- Who is Replacing Rachel Riley on Countdown
- Alcohol Consumption Calculator – Fit to Drive
- Why Are Chickens The Must Have Christmas Present of 2019
- The Turkey That Came For Christmas 2019
- There’s a hen in my bedroom
- Do you need planning permission for a Hen House
- Will Joe Grundy’s Pony Bartleby Carry Joe Grundy to the Graveyard in The Archers
- Ready Assembled Chicken Runs Hen Houses and Chicken Coops
- Hen Houses
- Self Assembled Chicken Runs Chicken Coops and Hen Houses
- Huega Pet Care Services
- Wheelchair Ramp for Hen House
- Storing Eggs in Wine Coolers
- Portable Dog Shower
- Hen Photos
- Mobile Hen Houses and Egg Mobiles
- Eradicating Pests From Hen Houses
- Happy Hens = Happy Children
- Can Hens Swim
- Where to Buy a Fake Billy Mask Billy Murphy The Young Offenders
- What’s the difference between a duck and a hen
- Top 10 Hen Jokes
- Where can I buy a French Hen or Where Can I Buy 3 French Hens
- Pet Hens For Sale
- Treats for Old Hens – Daytripping
- Keeping Hens as Pets
- Hens in Demand
- What happened to the Hens at Old Trafford
- Do hens riot and smash up their neighbourhoods ?
- The answer to lazy hens
- Most Eggs Laid By A Chicken In One Day
- Hens on the Web – Tiger in the Hen House
- Do Hens Bite : Warning These Hens Bite
- What Has Katie Done Now?
- Hens poaching increasing at an alarming rate – or is it?
- Bride to be reprimanded for taking live hen on hen night
- Get that duck out of my hen house
- Hen Shows to replace dog shows at village fetes
- They are not chickens madam they are hens
- 2017 Kilt Design of The Year Award Winner
- Boris Johnson
- Michael Gove
- Jeremy Corbyn
- Aston Villa
- Nadhim Zahawi
- Jurgen Klopp
- Welsh Flag
- Was the Fire at Royal Clarence Hotel Exeter caused by Polish Plumbers?
- Robinsons double concentrate squash 500ml
- Spot The V1 SEO Number Plate
- Scariest Halloween Video on YouTube
- Should MMA be banned from the BBC
- The Mad Museum Stratford Monopoly
- Kirsty Young 10 Years of Desert Island Discs 10th anniversary
- Warwickshire Rat Control Specialists
- Replica Colin Furze Safety Tie
- Susan Cain: The power of introverts
- Top 10 ways of testing how observant you are
- Turkey, Goose, Duck or Chicken for Christmas Dinner – The Pros and Cons
- How much honey does one bee hive produce in a year
- 6,000 Ducks Culled
- Garden Memorial Stones
- Walk in Chicken Runs
- Glis Glis
- Has Woman’s Hour coerced you into listening to the Archers again Ironic?
- Is it our duty to listen to the Rob Titchener Helen Archer Storyline in the Archers
- Should UFC be on the BBC MMA : UFC on BBC3
- Stopped Listening to the Archers until Rob Titchener leaves
- Pet Crab I had to get rid of it it was too shellfish
- Is this the most expensive hen house in the UK
- Download SA302 from HMRC
- Same Day Wasp Nest Removal Warwickshire
- The Dilemma of helping out at fetes shows etc.
- Map of Clown Sightings in The UK